Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I'm afraid I won't like it in Japan?

Question:


I'm supposed to go there for the summer (staying with a host family) and I'm scared. For one thing, I'm very clumsy and I'm afraid people will get really mad if I make even the smallest mistake (my Japanese teacher is nice, but she's really strict and she hasn't even lived there for over 30 years!) I'm afraid I'll be made fun of (I'm a bit on the heavy side, and tall, but I bet I'll look huge compared to Japanese teens/adults). What if I have trouble remembering how to say something? Will people get impatient with me? I'm claustrophobic (how will I survive on the trains? Should I close my eyes). And of course, I'm black. You can tell me that Japanese people are more accepting these days, but there are some half black, half Japanese girls who still get discriminated against, making them hate Japan. It's been my dream to go there since I was 9, (i'm 16 now), but I'm afraid that after this trip, I'll never want to here the word Japan again. What should I do? Am I overreacting? Especially concerning my claustrophobia...

Answer:


It is pretty normal to get nervous to go to another country. It is big thing! Especially if you are 16.
But don’t worry too much.
If you make mistake (you mean language?!) ,…. So what?! We are human. Everyone make mistake.
Don’t be afraid of making mistakes and don’t think people are frustrated or angry if they are correcting your mistake. It is good for you. We learn language from mistake we made.

I am Japanese and I live in Australia.
My English is not good and I make mistake everyday! Ha. Just easy going!

Well…Australia is multicultural country and most people are friendlier and open minded but it does not mean I have never been discriminated.
I want to say ‘’everyone is nice in Japan” but most people like foreigners (especially American?! Does not matter you are African American Lady)
Japan is not multicultural nation.
Some foreigners might feel like you are not treated like others but remember most Japanese like African American culture (- Sorry I just don’t like calling people with their skin colours.)
When I was in Japan, I had a friend visited from US and he was African American guy. I showed him around some places in Japan but we did not have any problem. Everyone was nice to him.

You have a chance to go to Japan. Stop worrying about things might not happen. Just enjoy your tim ein Japan.
If you are claustrophobia, I don’t know which city or area you are going, but Train in Tokyo or other big cities,….. it is maybe chaotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment