Saturday, October 15, 2011

If I am 1/8th Japanese, am I a Yon-sei?

Question:


My GREAT grandfather is Japanese, my GRANDMOTHER is half Japanese, my MOTHER is a quarter, which makes ME one eighth Japanese. Am I considered as a Yon-sei (4th Generation Nikkei) for descending my great grandfather? And to clear things out, yes I do know how to speak SOME Japanese and Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana..

Answer:


Not necessarily. It depends upon which of your family members came to Canada or wherever first, not how much Japanese you have in you. For example, in spite of your ancestry, if you were the first one to leave Japan and live in another country, that would make you an Issei, no matter what your mix. If it was your Japanese great-grandfather who left Japan to live elsewhere, then that would make you a Yonsei.

No comments:

Post a Comment