Saturday, October 15, 2011

Japanese Cooking...Grams?

Question:


I want to cook the Japanese Way. I know their way of cooking slightly differs. They cook with Grams. i want to cook seriously, please don't list converting websites, I don't want to look up a conversion every time I try to cook Japanese. I get a utensil to help me when needed.

I looked up that 1 ml of water weighs almost exactly 1 gram. And that 1 gram =0.0353 ounces. What cooking utensil is used for the ounces and grams in Japan?

10g unsalted butter, or 100g Cabbage, or 150g thin beef sliced, or 200g.5mm thick. that part confuses me. Where I saw these also listed the ounces counterpart. how would I measure those? I would use cups, but there are no cups in the Japanese cook books. What utensil would i use to measure solid ingredients?

Answer:


Get a scale. They don't mean volume when they are talking about meat and veggies. They mean weight. Unless you are baking, it doesn't have to be exact. 100 grams cabbage is about 1/4 pound. 200 grams meat is about 1/2 pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment