Saturday, October 15, 2011

Igo/Go/Weiqi/Baduk salons in or around the Tokyo area?

Question:


I'm traveling to Tokyo this December, and wanted to know if there are any Go salons in the Tokyo area, if anyone could name some, or how/where to find one (besides the Nihon ki-in, as much as I want to check that out, I don't think I'm, er, advanced enough for that ^_^;). Thanks in advance!

Answer:


I'm Japanese 19-10k weak go player.
I've visited only 2 igo salons a few years ago with my company.
Frankly I write this subject as long as I've watched for some your information.

Tsudanuma igo club
http://homepage2.nifty.com/igoclub/

At Tokyo station, change to JR sobu line toward Chiba-narita direction, get off Tsudanuma Station. It takes about 20-30 minutes from Tokyo station.
In front of station south area there are some big buildings. One of them named 'Morisia' is a target building. The igo salon exists in 7th floor.

I think it's a good Japanese typical Igo salon.
Most of customers are middle-aged and Elderly.
It's famous as the same scene in 'Hikaru no go' to which main characters has gone.


Yaesu igo center
http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/yaesu/index.h…

Probably the biggest igo salon in Japan.
Always with full cheer, from young people to elderly, from beginner to advanced, many people enjoy.
The place is Tokyo station east yaesu area. (but Tokyo district is too complex)
http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/yaesu/map.htm…
You had better print out map previously and ask someone help with map.

In addition, most of Japanese can't speak English.
Particularly Elderly can't at all.
See above-mentioned homepage picture and imagine.
I'm afraid that old lady clerk are confused not to understand what you say.
So I don't recommend to go such a place which only Japanese is expected to come.
But if you keep to show passion sincerely, I'm convinced they accept you with good faith.
Once it starts to play igo, conversation is on board. We know no needs to speak.

Have a nice trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment