Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Which is the correct Japanese Kanji symbol for eternity (pics included) I'm getting a tattoo..?

Question:


Which is the correct Japanese Kanji symbol for eternity (pics included) I'm getting a tattoo..?
I'm thinking of getting the Japanese Kanji 'Eternity' symbol tattooed on me, and before I do so, I would want to know what the actual one originally means because it's in another language and I don't want to end up with a tattoo that originally means something else.

A lot of times I've seen this, and this was the one I've originally been wanting to get because it's simple and small :
http://www.kanji-tat2.com/bilder/kanji/e…

But I've also seen this:

http://www.customwallgraphics.com/produc…

and it's also vertically: (I prefer the vertical one)

http://www.thejapaneseconnection.com/ima…

But what does the other symbol next to it even mean? Which one is accurate? What does the eternity symbol alone (the first one) mean if you remove the second symbol? If it's the other two, should it be horizontal or vertical? Which is the right one?

Answer:


Why do you want to get something tattooed on your body that you can't even read on your own? It's cultural appropriation at its worst and it's not that smart either, since it's pretty tough to remove a tattoo if you find out later that your "eternity" tattoo actually mean "pile of horse dung" or something. If you want a tattoo whose meaning you are certain of, get it in English? Maybe not as popular or ~*~cool~*~ as getting it in a language you can't even read (and I can't imagine you plan on learning Japanese or Chinese just to be able to read your tattoo), but at least you can read your own tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment