Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Can someone tell me how NOT to act like a gaijin or tourist when I visit japan?

Question:


I want japanese people to think I am just a white person from a family who has been in japan for 100 years. I want them to think I know nothing about european/american culture.


Yes, I am an uber weeaboo, and very proud of it. I know americans and japanese alike hate weeaboos, but they can just get over it.

Answer:


I don't think Japanese people hate weeaboos. It's more than welcome.
But here are some knacks, I could think of:

Keep smiling. Keep silent in public.
Western tourist tend to be very talkative and sometime noisy.

Don't look around. Don't gaze upward.
Tourists tend to look around.

Keep slightly hunched posture. Look down while walking streets.
Japanese tend to keep their shoulder and back rounded. Keep hunched posture. Look down while walking streets. Their skeletal structure is slightly different, I guess.

Minimize your bag. Don't bring a backpack or a waist bag except in AKIHABARA.
For some reasons, Many of Otaku people in Akihabara bring backpacks.

Always sleep on train/bus, whenever you could have a seat.
I guess 50% of Japanese people sleep in the train, others play DS or Cellphone.
If you could sleep even when you are standing in the train, It's perfect.

Don't bring a folding sheet style map. Books are acceptable.
Even Japanese people might bring guide books, but unlikely to bring a folding sheet style maps.

Always bring cellphone, and manipulate it at least once in 3 minutes.
I even don't know whey they are always looking into their cellphones.

Never wear T-shouts with Japanese scripts, or Anime characters.
It's the evidence that you are a carefree tourist, or a weeaboo.

Always make sloppy noise when you eat noodle / pasta / soup.
This is Japanese authentic manner of eating.

Never even think of wearing Kimono / Japanese traditional suits.
Not many Japanese wear it, but many foreign tourists like to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment