Monday, March 21, 2011

So me and a friend are planning to move to japan for school, what do i need to know?

Question:


I graduate in 2012 and i figure about a year or half a year after that I move out. I personally don't care where I go but my best friend wanted to move to japan so why not just go with her. I figured we would need to save up enough money to keep us alive for 3 months while we work on getting our student visa's cause you can't legally work in japan without one. I'm also trying to consider the earthquake that just happened and im wondering how that would affect us as well. It's definitely a lot to think about. I'm thinking for 3 months 2 people could live off of 9000. I also have to think about the cost of moving itself. we wouldn't bring much though Its not like id have large furniture i would need to ship. In fact i could take it on the plane with me. The most i would need would be my clothes and my computer maybe a few sentimental items. A lot of japanese apartments are pre-furnished. What are the fees involved with getting a visa. How do student loans work for students who study abroad. I plan on moving back to america after im finished with school, but what if i want to become a citizen what do i need to do then?

Answer:


Your plan has a few flaws that I would like to point out.

You can't just 'get an apartment' in Japan. Unless it's Sakura House in Tokyo, that caters to foreigners;
http://www.sakura-house.com/
You might be out of luck because many people won't rent to foreigners. Even as my husband (who is japanese) went looking for an apartment, half of our options are crossed out because his partner is white.
Usually when you rent an apartment, you don't just rent it and think you are ready to go. There is key money, and usually you have to pay two-three months rent in one go. It might cost you about $3000-$5000 to get set up. Then three months with $4000 between the two of you. $2000 each for three months.
Then you have to make sure you are accepted into a school (the school year starts in April). Are you sure that is going to match up with the date you are going to arrive?
Then you have immigration fees, I don't know for a student visa because I am on a work visa. If you aren't accepted to a school, you won't get a Japanese student visa which are always usually issued before you come to Japan. Make sure you have everything mapped out before you jump on a plane. On a student visa you may only be able to work a certain amount of hours a week (20?). Is that enough on minimum wage to help you guys to live? Some hostels may let you live for free if you work there for 3 hours a day. You need to check. Also, if you cannot speak Japanese, do you think you can get a job? And most jobs for part time workers are minimum wage. Please be careful on what you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment