Thursday, April 21, 2011

Been reading and watching a lot of raw manga and anime. Can people's actual speech flow that smoothly?

Question:


I'll admit I'm new to the Japanese language, but be that as it may, I still want to know if talking can be as smooth and effortlessly as in manga and anime? English is as clear as day to me (obviously) and doesn't require much effort to understand, but Japanese is very complex and not the easiest to grasp all meaning.

Here's an example of an expert from a manga:
戦いってのは元々
不平等と不寛容が
産み落とす怪物だ

あいつが気に喰わねえ
あいつになら勝てる
あいつが許せねえ

あらゆる理由で敵を作り
敵を作った瞬間から
呼吸一つまで戦いの内だ

A piece I've memorized as I think it's cool, even the translation I've memorized. I just don't think I could of ever figured this out on my own, let alone say it after having thought of it. How normal could a theological thing like this be made? (Not necessarily off top the head.)

Answer:


I understand exactly what you mean. I have thought a lot about this is as well, as I have been studying Japanese for about 4-4.5 years now, and still would be unable to just think of something like that in Japanese. But, I have come to realize that I likely would not be able to come up with something so succinct in English quickly, either. In either language, for me, it would take having more time than is usually allowed in any kind of normal conversation.

So, part of this is just down to the individual after a certain point. Having said that, Japanese is a bit more difficult than English, on average, in writing. Spoken... it's a toss-up - really depends on who it is you are having a conversation with. Pretty sure a Shibuya girl is not going to be thinking of things like that on the spot, but someone might.

As for just understanding (either listening or reading), after a few years you should be able to handle most anything, though holes remain for a long time. Creating is much harder than just absorbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment