Thursday, April 21, 2011

My friends have invited me to an anime convention early next year, help?!?

Question:


Hello,
Well, here's my situation.
I'm British born, caucasian (very fair-skinned) and have lived in Japan perhaps 6 months. I go to an international school in Tokyo. For obvious reasons, I am currently living in the UK for a while, but we'll be going back in a few months time in temporary accomodation, as I'm not being educated here.
ANYWAY! :]
I speak a fair amount of Japanese (I'm 14) and have recently made some Japanese friends- three girls who live in my area- whilst before I only really made friends with people from my school;, they're really kind and accepting of me. They've invited me to go to a scheduled anime convemtion next February. When I lived in the UK, I was a keen cosplayer and my costumes are to a pretty high standard, but I'm quite paranoid and I really worry about the hate I'll get from doing so. I've seen all these "Westerners disgrace cosplay" stuff and, whilst I by all means realise not all people think like that, I worry that quite a few will. I'm incredibly polite and humble, I let people walk all over me, I just really don't want to offend anyone there.
Can anyone offer opinions/advice/experiences? Should I go to make my friends happy, ot should I make an excuse?
Thanks

Answer:


I Think you should go. Screw what other people think, i mean so what if your not japanese. That doesn't mean you have no right to dress up and enjoy yourself with your friends! You won't be offending anyone, i mean really, your a guest in there country and your trying to involve yourself in what they do. It's not as if your going there with plans of bombing the place, so i definetly think you should go and have fun. If you really feel worried about going, maybe it would be an idea to tell your friends this. See if they can share how they feel about it. I'm sure no one will take offence to you going to an animecon. You shouldn't let what other people feel, influence the choices you make, if they aren't hurting anyone. Just because you weren't born in japan and aren't related to any japanese people, doesn't mean you have any less of a right to be in the country, getting involved, and living like a normal person. I'm sure you won't be the only westerner there, so don't worry too much about it. I Wish you goodluck (:

No comments:

Post a Comment