Monday, April 4, 2011

Is it safe to go to Tokyo (re radiation in food)?

Question:


Let me first say that my sympathy and thoughts are with the victims of the disaster and the brave relief workers and Fukushima power plant staff. I feel it is inappropriate for me to complain about a holiday being possibly cancelled in comparison to this.
What my question is however, is that would it be safe to go to Tokyo for 2 weeks? I am due to leave in a few weeks and have heard that there is iodine contamination in some food supplies and possibly caesium-137 (with a 30 year half life). I don't want to put my long-term health at risk for the sake of a holiday, and there are so many conflicting reports that it is hard to know what to believe. I know that people on here are unlikely to be certain, but if anyone is a health professional and knows how risky these isotopes could be it might be helpful. Thanks.

Answer:


Just talked to my friend in Tokyo. Things are getting back to normal. But they're still having a few rolling blackouts. Radiation isn't a concern though. There's still shortages of somethings in stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment