Monday, April 4, 2011

Wanna move to Japan, What should I know?

Question:


I`m going to japan for an exchange program, I`m not going for a few years but I want to learn what I will need to know. Like what should I know about eating? I know eating in japan is different from america. What would someone from america need to know about Japan? Im planning on becoming a Manga creator. What is a good town? Ill pick the best awnser from who ever provides the bet info. Even a link could work.

Answer:


Unless you already know Japanese, I would prepare some important phrases that you may need, to get by.They say most people in Japan can speak english but this isn't true.

If you cant speak japanese, dining at a restaurant can be a bit of a hassle as most menu's are in Japanese and If your picky like me then make sure you know what your ordering. I got deep fried chicken gristle...I thought I was ordering chicken (meat).

When paying money you place the money on a little plate kind of thing that sits on the counter

I haven't used a public phone but home phones are normal and easy to use. Their mobile phones are so cool! but they dont take sim cards they are only on plans.

Getting train tickets is easy as the machines have english

The trains are daunting at first but once you get an idea of areas that are nth est sth wst in the city its very easy as you just follow the colour of the train line

When ordering from fastfood or low key restaurants I got by saying "Sumimasen kore o kudasai" and then I pointed to what I wanted and finish with arigato... very simple and easy and I had no problems ordering. Except if they asked me a question and I would just say "hi" to anything, I had no idea what they were asking but I never encountered a problem.

My favourite place to stay so far was shinjuku but im heading back to japan this month and staying in osaka so it may change...
Sendai is a beautiful place too!

When in Tokyo if you understand the train lines its hard to get lost when walking the streets of say akihabara shinjuku etc as there are so many metro train stations around your bound to bump into one and then catch the train back to where ever you wanted to be.

Sorry im not sure of what else to write!

Just study the railway map
eat fastfood when not sure
and curry rice and ramen is the best!!
Dont stress too much over the simple things as hand gestures go a long way
And always be polite and be on your best behaviour as the Japanese show the same respect to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment