Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Japanese Question help me!?

Question:


Hello, I have been studying Japanese I know Both Hiragana and kakatana by heart working on kanji, but even though I know hiragana and kakatana when I watch Japanese TV i know the symbols and translate it to hiragana but I don't know the English translation how do I understand the English meaning if I just know the Hiragana meaning how to translate hiragana and kaktana into english.

Answer:


By studying.

And by the way, I live in Korea, and the subtitles are often WRONG. I don't speak enough Korean or read fast enough to make an effective translation, but I DO know that often the subtitles have a question mark, and the American movie they're playing did not ask a question. Or sometimes they guy will say "no" but the Hongul says "yes."

And it sounds like something's wrong here with your question - you don't translate katakana into hiragana - they represent the same sounds. You need a Japanese dictionary, but that doesn't always work quite right.

I use translate.google.com, and it works well enough but sometimes it doesn't translate quite right - multiple definitions and such.

But the short answer is: by studying more vocabulary, start with things people commonly say, like pleasantries - good morning, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment