Thursday, May 5, 2011

Japanese question! Help translating!?

Question:


I've seen in my textbook sometimes when they say someone's name by adding no + name with their description. For example, 私の妹のゆりこちゃん.

to say "my younger sister's name is Yuriko." Is this wrong? I know it's something like that! Anyway, I'm trying to use this format to say "Pocchan's best friend was a little brown bear named Mikichan."

ぽっちゃんの一番いい友だちは ちゃいろくて、小さいくまのみきちゃんといいます…

I know ichiban ii tomodachi is not how you would really say best friend, but we have to use what we've learned in class and this is the only way we have learned! Can someone help me figure out the right way to say this sentence with what I have described? Ending with description + "のみきちゃんといいます" or desu. Thank you!

Answer:


>to say "my younger sister's name is Yuriko." Is this wrong?

Not wrong. But not correct, either.

The Japanese sentence above is like "Yuriko, my younger sister". It's not like "My younger sister's name is Yuriko". The nuance is slightly different.

Your Japanese sentence regarding bear is correct. A better way to say "best friend" is 親友 shinyu.

No comments:

Post a Comment