Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to speak in Japan? (Erm...the high pitch?)?

Question:


I am wondering about women's "speaking voices" and "polite voices". Is high pitched voice polite and what about men? Do they also have to change their voice while trying to speak politely?

Answer:


I think I understand your question.
Once I went to a one-day seminar which taught us reception manner, where the instructor was saying "when answering the phone, you'd better make your voice a little high-pitched" (That's why some of female Japanese tel operators sound funny....)
I remember a colleague of mine was often saying (almost kidding) to another colleague, "hey, you sound gloomy. Make the tone of your voice higher!"
As my husband worked at a Japanese company, he used to be imitating those who were using 'sales (acting-like)' tone...., yeah he tried to make his voice 'high-pitched'.

No comments:

Post a Comment