Monday, June 13, 2011

Is 60 considered elderly in Japan cause it really isn't?

Question:


I think 100 is old and elderly but 60 is young.A reporter in Japan said "60 year old elderly man" and I think maybe he made a mistake cause 60 is technically middle aged.

Answer:


I've been involved in Japanese culture for a long time. And when it comes to age, it's different for men and women. Many years ago there was a silly term used for women over 25. They called them "Christmas cake ". Meaning they were stale after the 25th,
It's still common for companies to hire only younger women to work in the office.
I've seen women who place ads in singles magazines and say something like " I'm 30 years old, and no longer young, but I have good heart'....
60 may not be considered elderly, but maybe senior...

No comments:

Post a Comment