Monday, June 13, 2011

Is studying in Tokyo the best idea?

Question:


In my second year of university I get to go on a study abroad trip to japan to learn more Japanese for one year. Would it be best to study in Tokyo (for example, at the international Christian university) or would I learn more Japanese and be more immersed by studying at a different university out of these?:

Tohoku Area, Northeast of Japan

Akita International University 
Chubu Area, Central Japan
Nanzan University 

Tokyo Area

Hosei University 
ICU International Christian University 
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
Waseda University 

Kansai Area, West Japan

Kansai Gaidai University 
Kobe Gakuin University
Konan University 
Doshisha University

Kyushu Area, Southwest Japan

Fukuoka University 
Kumamoto University 

Thanks for your help.

Answer:


Hi! I would highly suggest applying for a school in Tokyo if you can manage it. You can't always get it, but on your list of what you'd prefer, make a school in Tokyo on the top of your list. This is because if you get stuck out in the country, you're going to want to kill yourself. You want to be in Tokyo because you'll have full autonomy, you can get around to anywhere.

Ok, if you need help narrowing down schools, I would suggest this: first, if you really have all these schools as an option (if so, WOW), try looking at one of those "rate my school" websites and see what those kids have to say. Decide if you want to do a homestay (in which you risk having a potentially horrible family or accidentally committing crazy faux pas that make everyone uncomfortable- I'm not trying to make it sound terrible, but I'm just trying to show the risks involved) or be independent. If you want more independence to explore and know what it's like to really live on your own there, you'll have to really scrutinize the living conditions that each school will offer you. If they don't mention any living conditions, I'd suggest crossing them out.

For some of the universities, I can shed some light for you.

Nanzan is a christian university. I think it's catholic. So, it's a school founded by western missionaries and I'm pretty sure it follows a western school schedule (aug-may compared to the japanese jan-dec year). There's two good things about this- one is that you'll keep your same school schedule. The other is that even though it's technically a christian school, since it's catholic (again, I'm pretty sure it is), they're not going to be shoving religion down your throat. It's just handy if you want to go to mass as they have services there. The ratio of foreigners to Japanese is fairly small I think, meaning you'd probably be more submersed in the language.

ICU is in Saitama not Tokyo. Saitama is just north (japanese north) of Tokyo and is a suburb of Tokyo. It's really not that far from Tokyo at all- in fact, if you were looking for a compromise between urban and suburban, Saitama's a good place to be. They have more trees out there, haha. ICU doesn't flaunt religion at all. I've got a lot of Japanese friends who go/have gone to school there and there was no problem with that. ICU had a high foreign population, however, so there's both pros and cons with this. The pros are that they'll have more classes in english and it'll be easier to communicate. The cons are that you won't really be submersed in the language very much.

Tokyo and Waseda universites are very high end. Tokyo University is like the harvard of Japan. If you actually get in to this school, it would be like god mode, haha. Waseda has a VERY high foreigner population so there's little submersion in the language and they make you stay in dorms with a curfew which, really, is AWFUL. For this reason, I wouldn't suggest waseda at all. It's a good school if you're native Japanese but not if you're a foreign exchange student. I really don't know much about Tokyo University's exchange program, though. If they make you stay in dorms there, too, I'd cross it off the list. You don't want to live in a dorm.

Kansai Gaidai shouldn't even be on this list. It's horrible. It's nearly ALL foreigners, and mostly kids from america who watch waaaaaay too much anime. In fact, I originally wanted to go to this school until I read a review online by a former student that said, "Before I left, I wish I had known that I'd be going to school with people wearing cat ears to class." That pretty much busted a huge hole in it for me, haha. They keep to a western schedule, all english classes- they don't even let you try japanese ones- and they herd you around in one huge group separate from the few Japanese students that actually go there. So, stay far away from it.

So, to review (sorry for the length- trying to be thorough here because it IS important): If you want to do homestay, it will require lots of study in etiquette before you leave and you risk potentially uncomfortable living conditions.

If you want to live independently, don't pick a school that wants to put you in a dorm( you want apartment, not 'we'll help you find an apartment later'), seems to want to keep you from the other japanese students, seems to not let you pick at least one class that would be a regular class that other japanese students would be taking there, and that has too many foreign students.

I would recommend staying in Tokyo because transportation is much, much cheaper, you have better access to everything, and frankly there's more to do in my opinion. Tokyo is ridiculously safe at all hours of the day and night, except roppongi (yakuza).

I really hope this helps. Sorry it's so long- I started recalling my own research from when I was doing an exchange, haha. Best of luck to you, and have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment