Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Nice Ryokans in Japan near the ocean?

Question:


I am planning a trip to Japan. The point of the trip is to experience traditional Japan during most of the trip, and to experience 'new' Japan for a portion of the trip. I feel the best way to experience this would be to stay at a few Ryokans. I have no idea which ones would be best suited for us. I am taking my teenage daughter with me, and she would love to spend a day or two in Tokyo. I would like to stay in a ryokan that is near the ocean. ( since Tokyo looks very close to the water on my map, that should not be too hard to do.) I would also like to stay at one ryokan that is away from the cities, and would be more quiet and serene. This is mainly a vacation to rest, recover, regenerate. I will tell you the things that are important to me to experience, and if you can recommend a particular Ryokan, ( or 2 or 3) that would be awesome! Also, if you can recommend some touristy- things to do..... even better!!

ok... here goes....

I would like to stay at 2 or 3 different ryokans during our stay
I would like it if one of them was close to Tokyo, so we can not have to travel too far in the first day or so of our trip.
I would like at least one ryokan to be near the ocean.
I would prefer if the ryokan was traditional in nature, and not so much modern.
I would like the prices to be reasonable- I plan to stay at at least one ryokan that is in a higher price range as a treat, but would also like to stay at a couple that are not going to break the bank.
I would like at least one of the ryokans to offer Japanese gardens, waterfalls, scenery, etc to foster peace and calm the mind.
I would like most ( but maybe not all of them have to be) of the ryokans to be near at least some shops and restaurants, in case we get tired of seafood and want to go say to a soba shop, or sushi-ya, etc.
I would like to tour a soba shop, a sake making shop, and maybe enjoy learning a green tea ceremony, or sushi making class. Any ideas like this are welcome.
also, I would like at least one or 2 of the ryokans to have onsen available.
I dont mind if one of the Ryokans are in the mountains or forest areas? as I would also like to visit a temple or shrine, and might enjoy being away from the city, but Not too high of elevation!! Also, I would like to keep it less than 2 hours or so away, so I dont have to spend all day in a bus or train.
thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions you have. I have done ALOT of looking online on youtube, japanese websites etc and ryokan lists- but there are 50 thousand ryokans in the country and it is hard to know where to start!!!
Mainly, I want to feel welcome, safe, and relaxed, and dont really want to go where foreigners are not welcome.

any further suggestions you may have are also welcome!!
:D

ps- I would also like to stay at some hotels between the ryokans, ones that are good and clean, but not too pricey. Like best western or something like that?

Answer:


O.O Well that was a lot to take it haha :)
Sorry if you get this question a bit late as this is going to take a while to type.

Well first off no need to worry as most ryokans are usually far enough from the hustle and bustle of the city. Also totally recommend going to an onsen, they're amazing :) The only problem is that there are only a few really nice onsens in Tokyo to pick from as they have to pump the water. Machida Roten Garden is just an onsen and not a ryokan, but the onsen is really beautiful and the landscaping makes it look really authentic.

They have waterfront hotels I know by Tokyo Bay if that's what you were thinking of. They only have two major hotels not ryokans that are Hotel Nikko Tokyo and Tokyo Bay Ariake Washington Hotel. Both of these have eateries, shopping, and a sort of theme park by there with a ferris wheel. Hotel Nikko is much more expensive than Ariake. Nikko is about $500 for 2 single beds a night while Ariake is $280 for 2 single. You might have to look more into that. I don't know of any ryokan that is by Tokyo Bay, but if you traveled out of Tokyo there are more ryokan by the coasts of the other cities.

As for the main part of Tokyo there is a ryokan that I loved especially called Ryokan Homeikan :)
They have nice landscaping and they also have a massage service if you're into that. For 2 people it's $140 or $150. It's pretty authentic you know with futons, communal bath, traditional food.
Hotels around central Tokyo include the Hotel Metropolitan Edmont, Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza, and Gina Nikko Hotel. There is also a really cheap hotel called Smile Hotel and it only costs $120 a night for 2 and it also has a massage service too.

There's a few hotels and one ryokan in Shibuya, which is also one of the greatest places for shopping! Totally recommend checking Shibuya sometime through your stay especially in infamous Shibuya 109 building. Hotel Fukudaya is a ryokan that is in sort of the middle of Shibuya, but I'm not sure you would like the atmosphere as much.
Shibuya City Hotel is GORGEOUS, but unfortunately not a ryokan. :/
I really don't recommend staying overnight in Shibuya, but rather go there for some shopping in the morning and take a train ride back down to the original hotel/ryokan.

Something that I think you might love...wait for it....an onsen and ryokan on an island off of Tokyo :D
Hotel Shiraiwa has a natural hot spring (indoor/outdoor) and it's so relaxing. The beds they have aren't futons, but the hotel itself on the inside makes up for it. The outside is a little iffy, but once you step inside it's seriously amazing! It's located on Oshima Island (still Tokyo) and it's about $300 or more for 2.

As for tea houses in Tokyo, there is one called Fugetsudo and another called Hua Tai Cha So. I've personally gone to Fugetsudo and I thought it was lovely, but my mother who didn't want to go went to Hua Tai Cha So and said that's where she tasted the best tea in her life.

If you had to go check out a temple while in Tokyo, I would defiantly go see the Asakusa Kannon Temple. It's one of the oldest temples and they also have gift shops by it where you can buy geta sandles, fans, rice paper, and other traditional items.

Also there are a few ryokans and onsens in Chiba that you might also want to check out too.
Oh my, best experience that I have ever had at a ryokan was at Takimi En....one word 'enchanting'.
There is a waterfall nearby and you can really hear it when you're taking a bath in their outdoor onsen. There is a lot of greenery all around it, like it's in a secluded forest. It's out of the way from Tokyo, but oh my goodness it was so worth it to see that scenery.

Also I don't know if this is my place to say this, but I think that moving around to too many hotels and ryokans will be a bit too stressful as you also have to move your luggage too. So I would keep it to the bare minimum if you can so you can get the most out of your trip and really have a chance to relax. :)

EDIT** Sorry one more thing to add >.<
There is a place in Tokyo where you can learn about tea ceremonies. The International Chado Cultural Federation (Zaun) is great but you need a reservation a day in advance. Also they do it in English so that could be a good thing? The fee is about $60 and I know they only except cash and not credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment