Wednesday, June 29, 2011

When can I and can't I take pictures in Japan?

Question:


Also where can/can't I (i.e. temples, shrines)? I'm going to be living in Japan and I'm going to be bringing a camera. I'd like to know if they have any general rules or laws about taking pictures.

Answer:


"Common sense" prevails in these cases. For example try not to photograph up someone's skirt or in the bathroom.

Places that restrict photography will make it very clear that they restrict photography. There will be a picture of a camera with in a red circle and slash through it, pretty much a self-explanatory sign regardless of language.

Shrines, Temples on the outside, courtyard etc you are fine. Usually in the inner areas of the shrine and temples have signs restricting photography.

Respect people's privacy. You'll notice on many Japanese blogs and sites that even pictures taken in public, strangers faces are usually blurred out.

No comments:

Post a Comment