Thursday, August 11, 2011

How are Blasians seen in Japan?

Question:


I really hate my mix, I think it's ugly .. My dad is African and my mother is Japanese. I was born in Japan and actually have duel-citizenship because we lived there until I was 5. I now live in New York, but I have a trip to JP planned in June of next year with my mother. I don't really remember Japan except once wearing a kimono at my grandparents house, it must have been a party or something, and I remember our old apartment there a little.

In New York no one really accepts me into the "Black" circle. I'm seen as an outsider and my mother said the same will be in Japan. I hate being mixed! Seriously, I'm not accepted as an Black-American, I'm not accepted into the "elite" white group, and I'm not accepted in Japan now either?

Anyone else have troubles like this? Is it true what my mother said? She suggests I chose my U.S citizenship when I'm 18, but I think I might choose Japanese depdning on how this trip goes. I'm sick of the States and it might be nice to live in Tokyo as a translator or something, .. go back to my roots.

Answer:


I am afraid I never recommend you to chose Japanese citizenship and live in Japan. Your mother knows well.
I am really sorry you feel alienated in the U.S. However if you feel alienated in New York presently, I firmly believe your future life in Japan will be unbearable for you.

First, as another author has pointed out, before you can get into Japanese -- what you call -- "circle", you must know Japanese language, custom and values. Even some Japanese get alienated because of subtle difference of values or behaviors. You should ask your mother what the Japanese word "ijime" means.

Second, your outlook is quite extotic to most Japanese and it will be a barrier to build relationships. I was not familiar with the word "Blasians" but it seems persons who have ancestors both Africans and Asians... I have only visited New York twice but I think it is a diverce city. However divercity is almost worthless in Japan.

Third, throwing away U.S. citizenship is not good decision while really really many people around the world attempt to get U.S. citizenship.

And at last, I recommend you to read some articles about U.S. president Barack Hussein Obama. His father is a Kenyan, his mother is a white American. His skin is dark but he was not in what you call "black circle" partly because his father was not decendants of black slaves and partly becuse her mother is white. His stepfather was a muslim and later he was raised by her mother's parents, who were white. It is said he needed much effort before he get supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment