Thursday, August 11, 2011

What to pack for Japan?

Question:


I'm going to Japan for a year, what should I pack that I won't be able to get or will be hard to find? For example, some one told me to bring deodorant because the Japanese stuff isn't as strong. Any other tips?

Answer:


I am going to completely agree with the deodorant thing. Japan uses predominantly spray deodorant which a lot of Americans, including myself, don't find as effective. Its not like you can't buy it, I just don't like it as well.

Shaving cream is not as common for girls so I would bring that. You don't have to worry about feminine hygiene products, those you can buy easily. Bring some shampoo and conditioner so you don't have to buy it when you get there. Also, I would bring a small thing of basic medicines like advil and dayquil. Its not like Japan doesn't have equivalents, but it can be hard to read the packaging (if your Japanese is not at a very high level) and sometimes its nice to just take something you are used to.

Some gifts are also a good idea. If you can bring some things that represent your hometown or state, that would be best. You are generally supposed to give a present to people who take care of you. This means study abroad staff, teachers, or anyone who lets you stay at their house.

Tissue pack! Note: there is toilet paper almost everywhere. However, some public restrooms, especially in old train stations with Japanese style toilets, may not have toilet paper. I have only had that happen once or twice but I was really glad I had a tissue packet with me. You may also find a lack of paper towels in public restrooms, so they are good for that too.

If you wear over a size 8 shoe, I would bring all the shoes you need for the year. Same thing for pants if you are over 5'8". Japan sells very limited sizes. While you can go to specialty stores and get larger sized stuff, it can be hard to find and expensive.

Bring something that makes you feel at home. No matter how excited you are now, you will get homesick. If is nice to have something that is comforting to you. For me, it was a giant jar of peanut butter (hard to find in Japan) and kraft mac and cheese.

Everything else, you should be able to buy there with no problem. Remember not to take too much stuff as you will want to buy a bunch of stuff there and won't have enough space to take it all home. Also, I recommend you put a smaller suitcase into a bigger suitcase going over, that way you can have two suitcases coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment