Thursday, August 11, 2011

If you had to choose a University in Japan between these?

Question:


This is for future reference. When I go to university I will study Japanese as a degree. In our second year we go abroad to Japan for one year. There are more options available but when studying Japanese for a year in Japan, which university would you rather apply to? International Christian University in Mikata, Tokyo or Kansai Gaidai University in Osaka? If you have been there tell me what it's like, if not tell me which one you would go to and why :). Thanks. (Please don't post pointless answers such as "thanks for the two points" O_O I hope I haven't encouraged you).

Answer:


I don't mean to discourage you, but universities are principally for people who study in specific field, and not the place for foreign students to study the language spoken in the country.
Between those, however, I would recommend ICU. One thing is that it's private university located in Tokyo (where standard Japanese is spoken) while the others are National. It should be more open for foreign students having more "exchange" programmes. (e.g. in Japan, private high-schools are much more open for accepting foreign students on exchange program. There's ICU high-school, too)
I had a friend (non-Japanese) who went to Sophia U and obtained MA degree there, not in "Japanese language and literature", but in something else. Because he had spoken fluently when entering the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment