Friday, August 5, 2011

How would an American exchange student be treated in Japan?

Question:


I am debating going to Japan on a summer exchange program next year. The culture just interests me so much and I would like to become more fluent with my Japanese. I will only be over there at the most 2 months. Most likely I will be going over there next summer at which time I will be 16.
Is there anything I should know so I dont look like an idiot? What are some differinces from America to Japan? How many Japanese people know english?
All I just want to know if I will be treated kindly.

Answer:


I actually just came back to the US from my trip to Japan.
I stayed there for 2 months as an exchange student and lived with host parents and such.
The best thing for you to know is that if you don't know ANY Japanese at all, you will look like a fool anyway. Even those who DO know japanese but are foreigners will look like fools. Just be respectful of everyone and don't be too loud. People are kind and curteous and are willing to help you if you need it. I recommend you buy a travel book that tells you basic sentences such as "where is the bathroom" "this tastes good" etc. just to know what to say in certain situations. itll save your life, trust me. I knew no japanese when i went and I survived well and learned a great deal by going to school and listening to people talk. Near the end of my trip, i was pretty much blending in with the crowd. I am also mexican, so it was tough, lol. All japanese people are curious at foreigners, so you will get weird stares all the time, but you'll get used to it and eventually people will stop staring. Keeep an open mind and don't freak out if you get lost and you will be perfectly fine.
Oh, i forgot to mention, I am also 19 :p

No comments:

Post a Comment