Sunday, October 23, 2011

Check to see if I translated Japanese to English correctly?

Question:


でも、りつちゃん、左手の薬指 って ‘婚約指輪’ みたいだろう。。。

For the most part I think it says:

But Ritsu-chan, the ring finger on the left hand makes it seem like an ‘engagement ring’ more or less…

What's throwing me off is the 'dayou' part. I know dayou doesn't necessarily have a meaning, but the translators I'm using, of which there are 8 of them, won't translate what's after the 'engagement ring' part, though I know "mitai" more or less means 'want/wish to see"

The dayou is just throwing it all off. Can anyone help me and tell me if my translation is more or less acceptable/correct? If not, would you showing me my mistakes and how to make the English translation sound more in tune with the Japanese meaning? Thank you!

Answer:


- A natural translation provided by a Japanese -


"でも、りつちゃん、左手の薬指 って ‘婚約指輪’ みたいだろう。。。"

"But Ritsu, if I wear it on my left ring finger, it almost looks like an ‘engagement ring’, doesn’t it...?"


Each word in question naturally translates into:

~みたい(mitai) = almost look like + noun
~だろう。。。(darou) = ~ ,doesn’t it? (with over 90% certainty)


I’m afraid that your translation is quite literal and you don’t seem to have a firm grasp of both these words (みたい and だろう) in this Japanese sentence.

Incidentally, だろう is pronounced (darou), not (dayou).


I hope this explanation has given you some insights into the correct usage of these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment