Sunday, October 23, 2011

I live in Japan and got caught speeding by the camera going 60kph over. I want to know what will happen.?

Question:


I want to know how long will it take for a notice to come in the mail? About how much will my fine be? How long will my license be suspended for or will I lose it? I got caught in Yokkaichi, Mie October of 2011. This will be my first driving offense, and I have a gold level license.

Answer:


The letter to request you to come to the police would come, usually in 2 weeks, but it sometime take long up to about 90 days, in case like you got caught in other prefecture, or the police took long to determine the owner of the vehicle, or just by the beurocracy.

You can forget it if the letter did not come in 90 days. Some of these speeding cameras are fake.

You first need to go police in certain period noticed in the letter. These date can be negotiable, but not neglectable.
You would be requested to agree you actually did it. Your driver licence would be suspended for 90 days. I guess you can take some training class to make it shorter like 60 - 45 days.

Later on, you would also recieve a letter from the local minor court to come. The date is negotiable, you can just make a call to ask them re-arrange the date, but it's not neglectable.
The judge would ask you if you agree the facts. He might ask you some excuse or background reasons.. I don't recommend you to makeup some excuse, that fake excuse would make your impression worse. If you accept the fact, you need to pay some fine up to 100,000 Yen for 60kph speeding, depending on the judge. If you did not accept the fact, you would need to have formal troublesome trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment