Friday, October 21, 2011

How should I store leftover sushi rice?

Question:


I made a 3 cups (uncooked) of sushi rice and now I have a big pot of it and I know I won't use it all... so I'm a little stumped on what to do with any leftovers. I stirred a mixture of rice vinegar, oil, salt, and sugar into it, if that makes a difference.

Should I put a lid on the pot and put it in the fridge? If so, then how should I re-heat it?
Should I freeze it? How should I thaw it out then what can I do with it?
How long will it last?
Also, I read a recipe for fried rice saying leftover rice makes the best texture. True?

Thanks,
Bre

Answer:


It depends when you plan to use it again. If you don't plan on eating the rice in the next day or two, it is quite acceptable to freeze it. To defrost, simply heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes.

Keep it in the fridge if you are using the rice in the next day or so, as any longer will take out all the moisture of the rice and leave it dry, hard and not very tasty.

Yes, Japanese fried rice works better with leftover rice. This is partly due to the fact that the leftover rice is kept in the fridge which removes the moisture and makes it easier to fry. Not sure about using sushi rice for fried rice though, might taste a bit different than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment