Saturday, November 5, 2011

A dream of a foreigner, making it in Japan? [music]?

Question:


So i know that it might sound a terrible idea and a stupid impossible dream for some of you, but I hope that others won't laught at me and tell me their honest opinions, without using bad words.. XD
This is mostly asked to the people who live in Japan.

So the question simply is: Can a white girl, who is fluent in Japanese, knows about its culture and has a talent in singing make it in Japan?

Some of you might ask: Why go to Japan if you can make it in ur country if u're that talanted.. Well I don't intend to stay in my country.. I am learning Japanese in school for 5 years now and in 3 yrs when I graduate HS I intend to go to Japanese university.. I've always loved music and always loved to sing. Mostly I like rock, but I don't mind the other styles at all.. I absolutely LOVE the band HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR. If you don't know them, check them out:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04x9dnP0f2A

My dream is to be on stage with a band like this (i mean a rock band where I'm a vocal) and just have fun and show to the audience how much i love music. ^^ But I've always been troubled by the thought of the chance a white girl has to debut in the music industry of an asian country.. I've been researching a LOT about this and 50% of the people say that race doesn't matter, the only that matters is the tallent and the passion.. But the other half% say that even if you're talanted, not many local people can make to begin with, and this slims the chance for a foreigner.. I agree with BOTH of the opinions and this is what troubles me.. So can you truthfully tell me:
What do you think about it? Do you think its possible? Why do you think so??

Please truthfull and LONG comments.. haha ^^ thank yall <3

Answer:


WOW thecheapest actually says it's possible!!!!

That doesn't happen often. However it does happen, like thecheapest says. Leah Dizon, Jero, and numerous "halves," meaning half-Japanese.

However, to me, Jero is the most striking example. A black kid from Chicago, (his grandma was Japanese,) he listened to his grandma's music and learned how to sing it. He is a talented singer, and learned Japanese as he got older, and when he came to Japan, he blew the country away. Now he was singed old fashioned Japanese music "enka," which is not popular with younger people.

With pop music, many, many beautiful Korean girls solo and in groups have become popular over the years. They also learn Japanese and include it in their songs.

The common theme is language: You have to sing in Japanese, and dance, and be young and attractive. Can you pull these off?

Race DOES matter. Do NOT think otherwise. However if you can channel your energy and your enthusiasm into your music, and you can have good manager/engineer/Japanese bandmates/choreographers to help you out, nothing is impossible. University is the perfect time to experiment while you are studying. So:

1. Learn the language
2. Learn the culture
3. Make connections with musicians and people in the industry.

I don't think you want to go through the "talent" way--like AKB48, you become part of a factory of pretty girls and have to work your *** off for 15 minutes of fame.

You should focus on your music first, and let fame come more organically. Talents are usually flash-in-the-pan. Whereas real bands stick around. Same in the USA, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment