Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How to get into Japan/what areas are safe?

Question:


I was wondering how exactly can you get into Japan if you wish to attend college there. I know study abroad is the obvious answer, but I was told that not every major has a study abroad for Japan. I'm in college for culinary arts and I'm having a hard time finding a study abroad program for my major to get into japan, I'm actually having a hard time finding anything that can get me into japan for culinary arts lol. I remember my chef instructor telling me she's not sure if there are any culinary programs for Japan, but i mean there has to be at least one right? If not, is there any other ways? It's been my dream for a long time to study the Japanese cuisine.

Also if I do find a way to get into Japan, do you have any advice for a girl who will most likely be traveling alone? (I'm 19 right now, by the time i graduate i will be 22) Like what areas are safe/dangerous, what things i should look out for. If i do find a way in Japan i would like to find a college in Tokyo, or somewhere near it. Does Japan have dorms for their colleges, or would you have to find a place to stay?

Thank you for helping me! ^_^ :D

Answer:


Japan is very safe compared to other countries.

While the probability of you becoming a victim of violent crime is low, it is not a ZERO chance. You are more likely to be a victim of property crime - burglary, pickpockets, and con artist then being mugged. You can travel in Japan very safely alone, but you still need to take the usually precaution You don't have to be scared or paranoid, but you still need to use common sense.

As for schools of culinary arts in Japan, the thing to understand is that such skills in Japan are usually attained by way of apprenticeships and not a formal program from a college. Unlike the US, high school graduates in other countries have 3 paths to choose from - college/universities, technical schools, or apprenticeship programs.

Apprenticeship for foreigners use to be unheard off in Japan, but they have become more accepted if not common. The most critical requirement is that you MUST be fluent in Japanese. If you are not, you have no hope of being accepted by the master instructor in Japan. However, you may be able to find a Japanese chef in the US willing to accept you for apprenticeship and if you make a good enough impression he/she might help you get experience in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment