Tuesday, March 15, 2011

How hard is Japanese if you know French and English?

Question:


After watching the documentary "Children Full of Life" I was so inspired about how different Japan is from North America, I understand this may not be the most compelling reason to learn a language, but there is just something about the Japanese which intrigues me to learn more about them.
Rest in peace all the victims of the recent earthquake and tsunami that Japan is facing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/typoprone#p/…
Link of the documentary.

Answer:


I speak English, and I also speak Spanish (which has some similarities to French). At school we have to learn Japanese, and after five years of doing it (year 5-year 10) I can say I'm very confident in writing hiragana (the standard characters for Japanese words) fairly confident in katakana (the characters for words derived from non Japanese languages) and I know a little bit of kanji (Chinese characters often used which symbolise like...things rather than just sounds).

The speaking, it'd depend how you learn it. I've done two 70 minute lessons a week, and I have something of a Japanese vocabulary. I get A's for Japanese and always have, and I think it's because it's a lot easier to learn a language if you already know two or more, because as my year 9 Japanese teacher explained, your brain has already learned that different languages have different grammar and like, different sentence construction. For example, 'the dog is blue' in English may translate to 'the blue dog is' in another language.

Definitely give it a shot. If you went to Japan for a bit, it would definitely help, being around the language so much, and your age can make a difference to how easy it is. But no matter what, you CAN learn it, so I think you should :)

Rest in peace to the Japanese tsunami and earthquake and nuclear explosion victims too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment