Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Will radiation from Japan come to the US?

Question:


I know that the radiation in Japan poses a greater threat to those in Japan... but I have been reading articles, some saying that radiation will appear in California (where I live) and some articles say it poses no threat to the US. Please I need some clarification and an ethical answer... i'm only a teenager and I'm really scared if my family and I are going to die from radiation poisoning. please do not think of me as a dumb worry-wart kid... I'm just really scared and I don't want to die this way.. Please clarify and help my fears go away. Thank you so much.

P.S. God bless those in Japan...

Answer:


You're not dumb for asking, this would worry me too. There isn't enough radiation from the plants to pose a threat to the USA. Wind can carry radiation clouds, but I'm pretty sure it would disperse by the time it would hit the west coast. Although Japan is in a state of emergency for nuclear meltdowns, it couldn't produce enough to affect us over here. And even if it could, situations in Japan are being monitored and you would be warned beforehand, like you were warned for tsunami waves. It's highly unlikely that anything bad will happen honey, don't be afraid :).

No comments:

Post a Comment