Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is the best donation service to use for Japan?

Question:


I'm trying to set up a donation fund in my high school for the victims in Japan and I'm wondering what service would be best and easiest to use. I want a charity which sends all (or nearly all) the money donated to the victims and doesn't keep the money for itself. Would the Red Cross be a good option? There is a Red Cross center in my town as well.

Thanks!

And yes, I did see the handy "Japan Relief" link at the top of the page.

Answer:


The Red Cross is a very good option.

The Red Cross spends donated money in or near a disaster area, to purchase necessary supplies from local businesses. This means that these businesses can continue to pay their employees, who already affected by the disaster. Otherwise, they would lose their jobs on top of everything else that has happened. The employees can then have a measure of dignity, by being able to buy goods that meet their needs. So the owners of the businesses they patronize, can then pay their employees, and so on down the line.

Donating money keeps people going in ways far beyond immediate supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment