Sunday, April 3, 2011

Should we travel to Osaka instead?

Question:


So I had flights booked for Tokyo at the end of this month and I have decided now that it's best not to go at this point in time. My airline is not refunding tickets, they are only giving credit notes. So my question is should I travel to Osaka instead? or should I wait?
Also I know nothing about Osaka, Where is the best area to stay that has easy access to shopping and trains? What types of fun activities are there to do? what are the must see's?

Cheers

Answer:


If you can not wait, yes Osaka would be a great alternative. Osaka is just like Tokyo.

I think the best area to stay in Osaka is in the Minami district mainly in the Chuo ward. It is close to all the shopping (Shinsaibashi), Namba which is the main train station & restaurants (Dotounbori).

Must see in Osaka are the Osaka-jo (Osaka castle, Umeda Sky Building, Universal Studios and Sumiyoshi shrine. In Shinsaibashi, there's this Amerika-mura (America town). Yes it sounds funny but it's worth a visit. Nipponbashi is also worth visiting, it's an electronic/gadget shopping center like Akihabara in Tokyo.

While in Osaka, you can ride a JR train to Kyoto (30 mins travel) or Nara (1 hour) for more cultural places.

No comments:

Post a Comment