Sunday, April 3, 2011

What do Japanese people think of foreigners?

Question:


I mean the ones IN Japan;natives. In manga/entertainment, they seem to glorify foreigners; but when I Googled it, they really don't like foreigners. So - what is the truth? they like foreigners, hate them, or do they don't mind too much?

Answer:


You will get a hard answer because you cannot gauge the minds of 125+ million people all in one lump.

Some like, some don't like, other's might have no opinion on the matter.

If hundreds of people show up at the airport to say hello to Johnny Depp, you can't really say they HATE foreigners can you? Why would hundreds show up then? Just to tell him to NOT come to Japan?

This is really an individualist question. I LIVE IN japan, I can tell you most people I interact with have no problems with foreigners, some of the Japanese people I know like foreigners better then other Japanese. You might meet someone else who doesn't live in Japan or does live in Japan and say something completely opposite of what I just said.

So who is to be believed?

Another example, Ft. Bragg and Otsuchi Japan are sister cities, both cities have close ties with each other. One is an American city and one is a Japanese city, they have had excellent exchanges which each other for the last 10 years. Am I to say the Japanese HATE foreigners so they are sister cities and have friendly ties with an American city? Doesn't make any sense if they "Hate" foreigners is it? Otsuchi was recently destroyed by the Tsunami and the citizens of Ft. Bragg have been working very hard to assist their sister city that was destroyed in Japan. There are many stories being told of how their sister city has always been welcoming of the visitors.

The answer is, there is no wide opinion one way or the other. You have pockets here and there and then you have people who don't care whichway whatsoever.

I live in Japan and I really don't have any problems, so I highly disagree with Maybe?? who says they will be hostile to people who attempt to learn the culture and speak the language. In fact, I find it downright ridiculous comment, especially for someone who MAYBE has traveled to Japan but who doesn't in fact live there. I can tell you it's opposite. You'll get more respect for attempting to learn the language and culture.

I don't know what country you are from, but everyone in your country likes foreigners? Can you speak for your entire country that they either like or hate foreigners? I'm sure you have people who think one way or the other about it, and you have people who don't mind either way.

I find these questions that pop up every once and a while just plain silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment