Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How can I move to Japan?

Question:


I "dig" japan. Love people, culture, SONY etc and want to move to Japan at least temporarily to figure out if I want to move there perm-ly. The problem is I don't know how. I'm 33, with MBA. Speak Enlish, Russian, Georgian and few other languages.

Answer:


Well, you have a degree so you are set on that front. There are two ways to go about moving here, both of them involve getting a job. (I assume you are not independently wealthy.)

1- You have to find a company to offer you a job and sponsor you for a work visa. Basically you need to be able to do something that a Japanese person can't do. 'Digging' Japan and liking Sony isn't enough. The language thing could help, but you didn't list Japanese. Could be a major hurdle there.

2- You come on a tourist visa and look for a job while you are here. You aren't supposed to do that, but it is done. At the school where I used to work, I hired a handful of teachers who were in Japan on a tourist visa and got them sponsored. So it can be done.

Keep in mind that the Japanese economy is not great right now and you'll have competition from Japanese applicants on almost all jobs.

EDIT: Common 'sence'. Good one. Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment