Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Do all schools in Japan require you to already have a working visa and do they all verify degrees/certificates?

Question:


I will be in Japan for about half a year or so participating in the WWOOF Japan program, but I was thinking about maybe teaching English in Japan. I will be staying in Hokkaido to do the WWOOFing. I have taught English here in China for almost a year and a half now, so I was wondering if that alone could score me a job at a private English Language school like an Eikaiwa? I don't have a working visa for Japan, but I have one for China. I like China, but I really need a break from here and I have always dreamed of living and teaching in Japan. I know the competition for teaching jobs in Tokyo and Osaka is really intense because there are so many foreigners there. What about Sapporo? Would someone like me still struggle to find work there or in a smaller city around there? I don't have a degree(just a photoshopped one). I really don't want to use it though. Would any private training centers give me a job with a year and a half worth of teaching experience in China and another year experience teaching ESL in the US?

Answer:


To legally work in Japan you need a status that allows work. Spouses, students, dependents, working holiday holders do not need degrees but can legally work because their status (sometimes with amendments) allows them to work.

However, someone who doesn't have any of these statuses requires to get a status that allows work and that status *generally requires you to have a bachelors degree (in any field) along with a job offer/contract.

However this degree requirement is waived is someone has at least three years experience (proven-documented experience) in the field of instruction. This is up to immigration, but the law stipulates it as a possible waiver. If anyone bothers to actually read immigration law, it says it right there.

The thing you don't want to do is use a fake degree, you will be caught then face other major problems. The other poster is right, the immigration people (the Government) are the ones that inspect the documents, not the schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment