Sunday, July 24, 2011

Teaching and living in Japan and the costs?

Question:


Hi I have been looking into doing a TEFL course so that I can teach English in Japan. Ideally I would like to stay in Tokyo or nearby. I don't know how difficult it is to do. If anyone has experience with this that would be a great help. The other thing is living costs. I do like my own personal space and independence so I was thinking an apartment would be best. But what do you have to pay in advance? When looking into it I read one person was expected to pay a whole years rent up front! Is that normal? How much does a small apartment normally cost?

Answer:


You can get a small studio apartment in Tokyo for around $780. The problem is some landlords won't went to a non-Japanese, and they have no laws to prevent them from doing so. You might need an agent. Some land lords want two or three months rent in advance. I've never heard of a year in advance. There's also something they call " key money ". This is nothing more than a bribe to the landlord to allow you to rent the place. It's also money you will never see again.
You like your own personal space ? Well, Tokyo might not be the place for you. It's a very crowded city. It's also harder to find work there as that's often peoples first choice. You might want to consider Osaka.
I hope you realize you'll also need a BA / BS degree ?

No comments:

Post a Comment