Friday, August 12, 2011

How would you say Anime Club i…

Question:


At school I'm in Anime Club, but we focus more on anime, manga, and video games than Japanese culture (something I want to work on). I'm trying to learn Japanese (so I can move to Japan in seven years, wish me luck!) and I was wondering how you would say Anime Club.
I know that anime is written in katakana like this:
アニメ
but I was wondering about club. Google translate says kurabu:
クラブ
but I don't trust it completely.
So, say I made a banner for our club that said in big letters:
アニメクラブ
Would any random Japanese person that walked in be able to read it and understand what it was, without thinking that what they just read was awkward or something?
どうもブロホ!
~山口美ちゃn≒^~^≒

Answer:


There is nothing wrong with saying アニメ・クラブ
However, in Japanese high schools, they will actually use either サークル (saakuru=circle), like in 漫画サークル (manga saakuru), or +部 (bu) as in 書道部 (shodoubu=calligraphy club). Its not likeクラブis not used, it is just used more often for dance clubs and less often for school clubs.

Second, Jazz (who wrote above) is absolutely wrong. You should start learning Hiragana first (though it seems like you might have already done that). You can't write or read Japanese words without hiragana. Katakana is only used for foreign words/loan words. Also, you should get a textbook, preferably with a CD. The internet is too broad to actually learn a language from. But at any rate, you didn't come here for Japanese learning advice.

Any of the above would be fine, but if I were you, I would actually stick with アニメ・クラブbecause your audience is American. Just wanted to let you know that there are options.


P.S. I don't know who 山口美ちゃn is but if that is supposed to be you, you never put ちゃんon your own name. Also, hit the "n" key twice and it will produce an ん.

No comments:

Post a Comment