Monday, August 8, 2011

How to be accepted in japan once and for all?

Question:


I am a 35 year old American citizen woman who moved to japan 15 years ago. I also lived in japan from the age of 3~7. My husband is Japanese, my children are Japanese. I consider myself Japanese although I'm not of Japanese ansestry. I'm currently waiting on my Japanese citizenship to go through (almost!), I know Japanese culture more than American culture, I speak Japanese fluently and I only speak English at work (as I'm a teacher). I'm sick and tired of still being called a foreigner even by my closest friends, my son came home the other day crying saying someone called him a foreigner and that just pissed me off to no end! He's not even been to the USA before! He's Japanese through and through. Occasionally I am stopped by a police asking for a passport in English. I lecture them every time as well as all people who judge me as a foreigner, and they apologize but I feel they dont really understand.

I don't accept that being called a foreigner simply because I am Japanese now- I even judge foreigners and want most of them out of japan, not because they are foreign but because they don't try to assimilae to Japanese life.

I'm getting extremely stressed, maybe because I'm pregnant again haha but please help with any advise. Thank you!

Answer:


You consider yourself Japanese. That's sweet. But you're not. And for whatever reason, that makes a difference to the Japanese people. Live with it because it is NOT going to change. It's that simple. More than that, you are ignoring the truth. You are NOT Japanese.

As for other kids teasing your child, maybe your kid is picking up some vibes from you and passing them around. I have two kids and they both say they have never had such problems. At the most they heard some comments by 'some weird kids'. Wanna' hear strange. Their Japanese grandmother told my youngest girl that she, my daughter, wasn't American but Japanese. Pissed my daughter off. Of course she wants to leave Japan now and go to school in the U.S. Things aren't such a bowl of cherries here in Japan at times, huh? Safe though. It does have that going for it. It'd take me a while to think of something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment