Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Are martial arts more popular and practiced in places like Japan than in America?

Question:


My friend and I are taking a tour of Japan. Its a big trip we've been planning for about two years. Another friend of our is also planning to come with us too. He mentioned that Martial Arts are very popular and practiced in Japan. Is this true or is my friend using a stereotype as fact? He made it sound like it was a general knowledge and practice there like elementary school is to America.

Answer:


No, it's not 'general knowledge and practice there like in elementary school is to America.' WAY overstated.

But my daughter was in the judo club for a while when she started junior high school. For a same school they had a rather large team. And quite a few of my students participate in one martial art or another. One elementary school near my house has a sumo ring outside, though that's not a martial art. I was riding my bike home from the station a couple of nights ago and there was a kendo practice session for kids going on in the elementary school. You see young Japanese kids with their kyudo (archery) equipment on trains.

I think it would be accurate to say that a larger percentage of young Japanese are involved in some martial art as compared to the U.S. But nothing like what your friend is saying. Ignorant people are prone to exaggerate at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment