Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to properly prepare a bento box for a loved one?

Question:


In Japan, when preparing a bento box for a love one (boyfriend, husband, etc..)..
should it be made to look cutsey like in photos or just regularly packed with food?!

In other words.. would it seem too childish/embarrassing for someone (an adult)
to be seen by their peers eating a bento that's overly decorative??!

OR is that something you would want others to see you have??..(..a decorative bento).

Answer:


There is no rule for bento.
But in my personal experience,
For little kids, Japanese mum make it colourful and fun to make their lunch time fun.
My mother used to cut apple in a Rabbit shape for me.
When I was a teenager,
I asked my mother to make my bento much prettier with yummy stuff then I was happy at lunch time with friends.
I don’t think boys actually care about these things.
They are just happy if it is tasty. How it look is not important.

When I cooked bento for my ex-boyfriend for dating, I put so much effort to prove I can cook and am good at.

But,... to be honest, I can’t be bothered cooking such a fancy bento every day.

Typical Japanese businessman’s bento ( made by Japanese wife) is leftover meal from last dinner, scrambled egg(Japanese style), rice and sour plum etc.
But….The most important thing is LOVE.
Without love, you can’t make any nice bento for your loved one.
Whatever you cook, if it is filled by your love, they would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment