Saturday, September 17, 2011

Have you ever been ignored on the street by a Japanese person when asking for something?

Question:


On my first ever trip to Tokyo, I had to ask the time many times, and each time I asked a stranger on the street, I encountered no problems at all. Every person I asked answered perfectly fine.

Note: I did ask the time in Japanese every time.

This year however, when I asked one person for the time, she blatantly ignored me, and didn't even look at me at all.
I know that not every single person in Japan is for answering questions and such. I will admit that I assumed everyone would help... I know, it was a really silly assumption, but I had it.

Anyway, what I was wondering is how common a Japanese person ignoring a stranger asking for the time and such on the street is.

Have you ever been flat out ignored by a Japanese person? Is it a lot more common than I initially thought, or did I just hit a spot of bad luck?

I asked in Japanese again as I did the times before.

Thanks!

Answer:


Actually, I don't remember any experience of being ignored in Japan. I might have 1 or 2 in my life. But I don't remember now.

Basically, I don't ask anything to a stranger. I do not need to ask time because I have a watch. If I want to ask directions, I know I should go to koban (police box) in Japan.

But your case happens, anyway. There is nothing surprising.


BTW, there is no increase of "catch sales" in the last few years. That kind of sales have been around in Japan since long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment