Friday, September 16, 2011

How to apply for a part-time job in Japan?

Question:


I`m not Japanese. I have a Long-term visa. There`s only 1 week left before I graduate at Japanese language school that I`m studying at. I`m 18 and turning 19 next month.I can speak japanese, not fluent though but I can. Studying Japanese is the only thing that keeps me busy here in Japan for the past 2-years. Now since I am now graduating, my life is becoming more boring and boring. And the only way I came up with, to keep me busy, is part-time job. But, if I get lucky and find one, this will be my very first job, that I will find by myself, in my entire life. And since this is my first time, I don`t wanna blow it up.

Please tell me what I need to do. Is there any documentation require? (I know I should ask this to where I wanna work at but maybe you can too). What is the proper words to say? (Like, when I enter the shop, convenient store or 7/11 for example, how do I say that I want the job? IN JAPANESE if you may)

If there are any other details you can add that I didn`t mention would really be a great help for me. I will appreciate anything you answer. Thanks

Answer:


You might want to go to Hello Work, which is the Japanese government's job centre. You can search for jobs there. If your reading skills aren't very good, then you might want to ask a Japanese friend to help you.

You could also check out local newspapers. Sometimes people advertise jobs in those.

Of course there's the internet too. I don't know if it's still around, but there was a site, Daijobu, that listed jobs.

I've seen a few non-Japanese working at convenience stores. You could probably just drop off a resume. In Japan, resumes are easier than in the West. In the West you have to design the whole thing, and everyone's resume is different. In Japan, you can go to a stationery store and buy a blank form, then just fill it out at home. Do one of those, get a Japanese to go over it for errors and advice, then fill out a bunch and leave them at places you'd like to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment