Friday, September 16, 2011

Is it possible to walk around all of Tokyo?

Question:


I am planning on taking my dream vacation to Tokyo. I will be spending a week there and want to see as much as I can. That said, is it possible to walk around the entire city? I will most likely be staying in Bunkyo, and wanted to walk to areas such as Akihabara and Roppongi. The host I will be staying with says it is not possible to get to these areas from Bunkyo, as the train takes 20 minutes to get to each of those stations, but the walking directions on Google maps shows Akihabara is less than 2 miles away. If its a matter of convenience and time, I do not mind walking for a few hours, as that is the point of going to Tokyo, so I can see all the sights. Or is it just physically impossible to get around everywhere on foot, i.e. no pedestrian paths or sidewalks. Please let me know so I can plan my schedule and budget with or without train fares :3 Thanks for the help!

Answer:


I think there is no problem with walking around Tokyo, especially inner Yamanote line circle.
Google map must be a good friend for you.

As you know, Bunkyo (maybe Suidobashi or somewhere) is near from Akihabara.
It takes about 0.5 hour.
For Shinjuku, it takes over 1 hour, and for Roppongi, it may take 1.5 hour.
Actually, I'm walking everyday from Shinanomachi to Roppongi. It takes about 0.5 hour.

However, I recommend you to consider to use subways or rental cycles.
Tokyo has a really good public transport system.
There are some discount tickets like below:

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value…
coolbike
http://www.coolbike.jp/index.php/ems_en.…

No comments:

Post a Comment