Friday, September 16, 2011

Japan - No seat reservations or JR Pass?

Question:


I've been searching whether if I should or not buy the JR Pass. I already made some calculations and if I travel without any seat reservations, I would be better not to buy the JR Pass.

My question is: how useful and necessary is it to make seat reservations while traveling in Japan by train?
I've traveled a lot around Europe and seat reservations on trains were not really necessary. I wonder if it's the same in Japan considering that I'm going there in October/November.

Answer:


Phil be careful if you are using hyperdia to make your calculations. On hyperdia the "seat fee" is a combination of limited express fee and seat reservation, in reality is only a few hundred yen. You still pay a large amount because you need to pay the limited express fee, NOT just the base fare.

For example Tokyo to Kyoto by UNRESERVED seat is 12710 yen NOT 7980 yen. 7980yen is just the base fare, you still need to pay a limited express fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment