Thursday, September 22, 2011

What is the history of the flute in Japan?

Question:


I would love some details, but I will even just take good links for research if you know of any. I am interested some in the history of the shakuhachi, which is the traditional Japanese flute, but I'm also talking about the flute that we all know as well, idk what you would call it, but its the European/American flute. I need names of Japanese composers and flautists, and any details you could give me, both about the shakuhachi and the flute that we all know of. Please help in any way you can!

Answer:


Nobody knows when the flute started to be used in Japan, but there are 4 flutes in the collection of the Shosoin Repository dating back to 756.
The Shakuhachi was introduced to Japan from China in the 6th century and then underwent a unique development in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment