Monday, October 24, 2011

How to make seaweed less fishy tasting?

Question:


I tried to make some seaweed salad with some fresh, salted seaweed. I rinsed it about 10 times, soaked it for 1 hour, but it was still really fishy. So I soaked it in white vinegar for a while, then boiled it in some vinegar and water. Long story short, it was still so fishy that I couldn't eat it.

My last resort was to mix up the salad dressing -- soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, sesame seeds, & ginger. The dressing was good, but the seaweed was still too fishy. What should I do next time? I searched the web, but couldn't find an answer.

Did I use a bad type of seaweed? It was fresh (refrigerated) and salted.

Any other tips on making seaweed salad would appreciated. Thanks.

Answer:


Try to find dried packaged "Wakame" seaweed. You just reconstitute it in water and go from there. Bottomline though is you must expect that something that comes from the sea tastes like the sea. Other option is to go to an Asian/Japanese/Chinese market and explore the various types of seaweed. Some types of seaweed are better for making stock like Kombu rather than Wakame. There are many varieties of seaweed so continue your research.

No comments:

Post a Comment