Monday, October 24, 2011

Where can I find information about learning the Japanese language and culture?

Question:


I am currently fresh out of high school. I'm waiting for the new semester at my local junior college to start, but lately I've been paying a lot of thought to living in Japan. Ever since I can remember, I've always been extremely fascinated by the Japanese culture. The food looks exotic, the language sounds beautiful, the people are so interesting, and from what I have heard and can see, the entire culture itself is an amazing one to experience. To be honest, I've never been there, I've never had the food, and I've never learned a single bit of the language.

As things stand now, it is my hope that I can eventually learn to fluently speak and write in Japanese, and maybe even live there some day. I'd really love to get started with this plan, but I have no idea where to start -- (( How do I learn Japanese? What is the best method of learning the language? Should I learn how to write while I learn how to speak Japanese? Should I learn how to write at all? Are there certain dialects of the language I want to avoid for my first time learning? How do you convert Japanese writing into English? What are the most common, /authentic/ dishes people eat in in Japanese culture? What do I do when I get there? What are the cultural differences between Japan and America? Should I take a friend with me? Should I already have contacts in Japan? )) I have so many questions to ask, and I'm having trouble finding a place where people can give me some beginner's help to going there.

Does anyone know of a forum or some kind of website -- ANY kind of community that is open to helping people get to, and meld in with Japan? I have a lot of questions that I feel should be answered before I go. The older I get,the more real my dream feels, and I absolutely cannot wait to get started. I really want to connect with people who have, or currently live in Japan so I can get some questions answered. I just need help preparing myself for extended trips to Japan for the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:


If you want to live in Japan, getting a degree is essential. If you are happy to come for a few years then go back to your own country, a degree in your own country will do you fine, and you'll probably make your living teaching English. Better jobs are possible if you are fluent in Japanese.

If you plan on staying for a long time (or permanently), better to get a degree from a Japanese university. This is much more possible nowadays, due to a governmental program called global 30. Basically, the government aims to internationalize the universities, with the elite universities first. You can get your degree in English, while learning Japanese at the same time. A good place to start is this website http://www.global.tsukuba.ac.jp
I work for Tsukuba, so if you have questions you can email me. Many G30 universities have good deals on tuition, and some even offer scholarships to good students.

Learning Japanese is important, but it's much more important to get a degree in something. Don't study a degree in Japanese language though - unless you plan to teach Japanese in your own country, it is practically useless, and it won't help you get a job here.

No comments:

Post a Comment