Sunday, December 18, 2011

How can I make good friends in Japan?

Question:


My back story is the usual "I've always wanted to live in Japan!" And I'm finally beginning to put my pieces together to move there.

I am in the US Military, a Marine to be exact, and my plan is to hopefully use my GI Bill in Japan. Before that however, I would like to talk to anyone currently in Japan to help me, hopefully answer my questions, and things like that, and help me with the transition.

I am not naive enough to think that anyone would just be willing to help me, or to trust anyone who does, but it doesn't hurt to try, right? I'd just like a buddy for now =).

Answer:


It amazes me how people like Vinegar Taster manage to get "Top Contributor" status.

You have a few options, but I'll mention that two that would probably be easiest for you. The first is to do it through the military. The US Marines have several bases in Japan. Most in Okinawa, but 1 in Gotemba, and 1 in Iwakuni. Found contacts to help you to get stationed there or something. The second is to marry a Japanese girl, which I personally think it's easier than trying to find someone to "sponsor" your visa.

And despite what Vinegar Taster said, you can indeed use the GI Bill in Japan. They will even pay for a fixed intenational housing allowance. Look it up. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment