Sunday, December 4, 2011

How do you say "Young chidren are able to learn language by 'osmosis'?" in Japanese?

Question:


I am going to be teaching English in a Japanese Kindergarten, and while I understand basic Japanese I'm still not good at putting together complex sentences in ways that make sense to native speakers. I can read Japanese script... so Kanji away. :) There are Japanese natives at the school that speak english (obviously) but my boss's English is not very good and when I've talked to him I've had one of the other Japanese teachers translate for us because my Japanese is pretty bad as well. Any help on this would be appreciated. :)

Answer:


You can say it like this:

幼い子どもが、自然に言葉を覚える能力があります。
(おさないこどもが、しぜんにことばをおぼえるのうりょくがあります。)
("Young children have the ability to learn language naturally.")

If you want, you could substitute the verb 吸収する (きゅうしゅうする, "absorb") for 覚える.

I don't think "learning by osmosis" is a commonly used phrase in Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment