Saturday, December 17, 2011

How would I say, or imply, this is Japanese?

Question:


I'm trying to say 'in', as in: "In History, we learnt about WWII". Or something to that effect. Would the particle 'Ni' be used? 'De', maybe? Or is there another particle I'm not aware of?

If you could, could you actually provide me with a sentence like the one above, so that I'm aware of how to use it practically?

Thanks in advance!

Answer:


Hmm, this is a classic issue for Japanese learners.
Indeed Japanese particles are very difficult and confusing. You can relax though because, personally, I've hardly met a foreigner who can handle this perfectly. I can't explain the whole lecture of Japanese particles here nor I am not going to, but here's your answer:

"In History, we learnt about WWII" 歴史の授業で、(私たちは)第二次世界大戦について勉強しました。

If you say 歴史の授業では, it can mean "In the History class (among other activities)".

に(to, for) & の(of) cannot be applied in this sentence.
You can still use にて(in, at) but this sounds like a thesis or formal letter form.

No comments:

Post a Comment