Sunday, December 11, 2011

What is the meaning of おーはよ?

Question:


Hello!

I was looking for the translation for this phrase "おーはよ"?

I tried Google translate and it became something like Over you...

Someone I know said that it was 'oohayo' but I'm not sure? Would you also be able to provide me with the pronunciation of each character?

Thank you!

Answer:


Yes, the characters above are pronounced "Oohayo" with a long "o". It is a variation of the normal way to say "Good morning" which is "おはようございます" (Ohayougozaimasu), and the short form of Good morning is just "Ohayou". the "u" at the end in this case doesn't mean you pronounce it like the English "you". Here it just means a long "o" at the end. The long hyphen-looking character "ー" means a long vowel. So this is basically a person saying "good morning" in a more slang type of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment